Summer might be coming to an end, but there is still a bounty of fresh produce available. Late August is peak tomato season and I can’t stop eating them. I’ve been adding them to every meal while I have the chance and you should too! Try them in this simple pasta salad or check out a few of my favorite tomato recipes from around the web.
Lemon Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/3 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 Small Garlic Clove, Minced
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Whisk olive oil, lemon zest and juice, balsamic, garlic and red pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside.
- 1 16 Ounce Package of Tortellini
- 8 Ounces Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 Pint Cherry Tomatoes
- 12 Fresh Basil Leaves
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions and drain.
- Place tortellini in a large serving bowl and add vinaigrette while tortellini is still warm so it can absorb the flavor.
- Allow tortellini and vinaigrette mixture to cool to room temperature.
- While mixture is cooling, dice mozzarella and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Roughly tear ¾ of the basil.
- Fold tomatoes, mozzarella and basil into dressed tortellini.
- Chill pasta salad in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and unto up to 12 hours.
- Top each serving with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and remaining fresh basil.
5 Recipes Starring Tomatoes